Friday, August 15, 2014

Journey of an underfunded writer

Technically I wanted to call this post: Journey of a poor writer. So why didn't I? Well I now tend to stay away from things that classify me in a way I no longer see myself. So instead I will call myself underfunded which happens to be true.

Today I have been thinking about editing vs. not editing. I have come to the conclusion that editing is better. Duh! The question is what if you can't afford an editor? Everyone who has decided they have something to say cannot always afford an editor in the beginning.

I classify myself in the group that is unable to afford an editor for various reasons. I proudly finished my first novella consisting of about forty thousand words. Wow I thought I wrote forty thousand words and they actually form a story. I was so proud of myself I was used to writing short stories. Whew I did it I thought. I read it over and decided no editor needed, its the best thing ever written. Hey somebody has to like it might as well be me!

Fortunately a friend of mine said can I read it. Yes! I was so proud, I printed it and packaged it up nice and neat and gave it to her. She then said is it ok for me to make any corrections I see. Of course I replied with pride. I knew there was nothing wrong with that story. I waited a while for her to read it but hey I had a beta reader. Go me.

Finally she brought it back. She liked the story. Whew. Then she said I made some correction in red. Very few story correction, but a lot of errors with punctuation and a few with grammar. I nodded and took my precious baby back.

When I was alone I opened it up. There was a sea of red swimming on every page. Now if there was ever a time to be discouraged that was it. I diligently read the first few pages then put it up to take home. After cheering myself up I decided I would correct two chapters a night. That meant reading over every word so I could see how every comma and punctuation effected the story. It was hard and tedious work, but I did it.

I quickly caught on to several mistakes I was making repeatedly. So I not only corrected them there but I corrected them in the projects I was working on. I feel like I was blessed to have her. Now is she a professional editor? Nope, but she was better than not having anyone look over it.

If you find that you are strapped for cash for any reason and cannot afford an editor, look for a beta read. Preferably one that has a good command of the written language.

If your alternative is to do your very best with your beta reader and then self publish your book vs. waiting until you hit the lottery so you can afford an editor. Take the harder path. Self publish, forget about print for a while and take all the well meaning criticism in stride so the next time you hit publish you will be one step closer to your goal.

Signed by,

Making life worth living

No comments:

Post a Comment